At News Gazette Printing
we've been doing what
we do for a good, long time.
saw several newspapers in the early years.
The Argus (1843), the Reporter (1843), the Western Gazette (1854), which
later became the
Gazette and the Democrat
1897 - The old Republican Gazette building
on image for a closer look)
In 1891 the Republican,
another early newspaper, merged with the Gazette to become the Republican-Gazette.
In 1897 another newspaper was launched, The Lima News.
In 1908 a man named Galvin acquired
a 1/8 interest in the Lima
would later control the newspaper. Another Lima
newspaper, the Star bought the Republican Gazette in 1926, discontinued
its publication and moved into its building on East High directly across
from the Lima News. In 1929 the Republican Gazette/Star sold the paper
to the Galvins. In 1930, the Galvins/Lima News began to use the Gazette
for commercial printing and was officially named The News-Gazette.
operated this way until 1956 when 6 employees of the News-Gazette purchased
the company from the Galvins.
The business remained in the same
location, beside the Lima News at High and Union Streets until 1971
when it moved to its present location at 324 West Market Street, the former
home of the S&H green stamp redemption center.
Before the S&H
green stamp business, the building was the home of the Gibson Company and
before that it was the location of Timmerman Ford's body shop.
Timmerman Ford had a car lot in the
location that is now the BP Car Wash.
The building has an elevator and a ramp. They were used to move cars to
the upstairs for repair. The upstairs is currently used for parking and
storage and still has some signs of the old body shop
The name News-Gazette
certainly has the sound of a newspaper, but as you have seen, the name
is only the name and the News-Gazette Printing Company does almost anything......except
In 1977 Cloren Mills,
then President of the News-Gazette Printing Company, and his 2 sons Dave
and Dan purchased the stock from the 2 remaining partners of the original
Printing has been solely owned and operated by
the Mills family since 1977.
1985 Cloren's older son Dave sold his interest and left
to assume a position
with a growing metal
coating company based in Lima.
October of 1996 Cloren Mills retired
from active service.
IN 1998 Dan
Mills was named President
The company continues
in business today because we still
believe that customer
be our primary goal.
We also believe that
we must always strive to be "State-of-the-Art".
(Just click on photos
to see close-ups)
Clockwise from top
A page from the Lima News (1931) just after Galvin and the Lima News bought
the Republican Gazette, thus creating the News-Gazette for commercial printing.
west side of the current NGP building on Market Street (1958 - before it
was NGP), the Timmerman Ford lot. The BP Car Wash is there now.
This is the side entrance to the building as seen from the Timmerman used
The east end of the current NGP building. During this period, the building
housed a Buick dealership. Notice the gas pumps. We still have one,
one day we will get around to restoring it.
a Lima News article when we moved to our current location in 1971.
on the picture for a closer look)
of logos here and there, a few letterhead designs...
It's amazing what
fifty years or so will do.